Monday 10 January 2011

First things first, I have managed to maintain my new years resolution! So far, so good! I also just today found out that Central Saint Martins have asked me in for a portfolio review for a place on their art foundation course! I'm really happy about this one as it's my first choice (well joint with Ravensbourne)!

In other news this weekend I finally decided what I'll be making for my textiles coursework; a top, jacket and trousers. I intend to make most of the patterns myself, modifying patterns I already have for parts of it. This may or may not have to be handed in just after the February half term, I'm hoping not, I fear I have bitten off more than I can chew.

On top of this I have to finish my art coursework by the 1st of February, including the evaluation. Thanks to my having to finish part of my final piece before Christmas I am at a slight advantage. However, I also have 2 major maths exams in 2 weeks which I am no where near ready for. Thankfully, after these exams are finished I am done with maths FOREVER! I can finally put all of my attention on art and textiles (and also Japanese but that has nowhere near as large a workload).

But this is getting slightly depressing so I thought I'd show you some of my art work so far. For my current module I have been looking at fashion designers and artsist who use recycled materials and experimenting with doing the same myself. It all started last summer when, after looking at the work of Chinese artist Huang Xu who works with plastic bags, I got the idea to make a dress out of melted plastic bags. I did some research and turns out I wasn't the only one who had this idea so there my A2 project began.  To the left is the bodice for a dress (as far as I've got right now) made out of plastic bags I melted together with an iron then sewed with raffia. Below is the back of the bodice which I made from weaving the straps from plastic bags.

I was going to also put my final piece up but I think you are probably losing interest by now so I'll save that for another day, ooh the suspense! Until next time, I'll leave you with the lyric of the day which I heard very appropriately whilst designing my textiles coursework. It's a cheesy sentiment, I know, but it's from my favourite band and I do admit I am slightly partial to a bit of cheese : )

Lyric of the Day: "Best, you've got to be the best"- Muse, Butterflies & Hurricanes

No comments:

Post a Comment