Wednesday 9 February 2011

Magic Fingers

I have just recently started my exam module for my art A-Level, this time last week actually. Our new title is "Exploration and Discovery". I'm not going to lie, the first thing that popped into my head was pirates. I do like pirates, I held a Pirate themed night last summer, I like holding themed nights, my forte is Mexican nights. But after that initial thought I realised instantly why, the very next day, we had to go to the British Museum. Oh God, it's going to turn into such a cliche, I thought, drawing old pots and other so-called "discoveries". Yes, I know that technically these are discoveries as they were literally dug up from the ground but I really don't like taking the literal meaning from an art theme, and plus I'm not really into history, it's all about the future.

I began the trip by pointlessly wondering around the Egyptian and Greek sculpture rooms taking pictures of everything in case in turned out to be necessary. I couldn't have been less interested or less inspired. We were meant to do some drawings as well but I couldn't see any thing I produced form this day being any good. However, after a while I found the room with the mummies in it. I had the thought of looking at them on the back of my mind all morning and thought I'd indulge myself, although I really didn't want to have anything to do with them in my art book. It was here I saw this skeleton and, a bit morbid I know, a corpse which, despite being hundreds, maybe thousands, of years old, still had flesh and hair. Thinking I'd hit the jackpot I started sketching them.

It was then that a horde of primary school kids stormed and shoved right past me, interrupting my tranquil sketching time and blocking my view. Typical, I thought, until one by one the kids noticed what I was doing. Then the awestruck gasps began. (yeah, not to blow my own horn or anything) Then this one little girl asked me if I had magic fingers! Thinking she was being nice about my drawing I modestly admitted that I am no magician, just insanely good at drawing. I realized immediately that I had just missed the perfect opportunity to manipulate the whole class of kids that I was, in fact, magical. Looking back at my drawing I realized then why the girl thought I was magic; I was holding a tiny piece of charcoal between my fingers, so small you couldn't see it, and as I moved it across the page, marking it with charcoal she must has thought my fingers were just making it appear, as if by magic. Hmmm, I wonder who else I can fool with this...

That was just about the best part of that trip, unfortunately I feel myself being sucked into the black hole of cliched artwork. We are being made to work on from our trip and since the only thing to see there was ancient artifacts and old pots it seems that this is what I will be doing. Oh well, if it gets you the grades.
I seriously cannot wait for art foundation.

In other news there have been no musician sightings this week, so far. Tomorrow I am seeing the White Lies though!  You never know, I may finally get my photo...

Lyric of the Day: "Controlling my feelings for too long...pushing us into self destruction" - Showbiz, Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment