Wednesday 23 March 2011

I am currently sitting here, writing this, on my laptop. Pretty normal you may think but the HP Wireless Assistant on my erratic laptop, which has failed me many a time, decided to just die on me over a month ago. After coming extremely close to throwing it out my window- I read countless online DYI articles about fixing it, to no avail- the internet is finally working again thanks to a USB connection. It is surprisingly liberating being able to browse the internet on the privacy of my laptop- not that I do anything dodgy on the internet! But since my laptop has been out of action I have been using the home PC and so my use of the internet has been only for homework and the odd social networking.  Hence my less frequent blog posts. This may have been a good thing; I had more time for homework with less distractions of pointless internet browsing. But then again it did make me feel strangely out of touch with the world. I suppose only time will tell if the lack of internet is a good thing.

Regardless, I have been thinking about the internet, and particularly the rise of Facebook. I was thinking about how many things I use Facebook for and how handy it really is. Its just weird the amount of things that I would now struggle to do without Facebook and how inconvenient I find it when someone doesn't have Facebook. But is it really a good thing? I sometimes find myself resenting it, I'm never 100% sure why but there can sometimes be something sinister about it. I suppose if you weren't to have it it would encourage more "real" forms of conversation, like phone calls. It's just too easy to send someone a Facebook message, easier than talking some may say, but if we continue like this will our real communications skills suffer in the future? This generation is the first to have grown up entirely with social networking sites so the effects can't yet be known but surely it will have a vast effect on the future of the human interaction?

Well, I may have got a bit carried away there but in other news: I have a Reading ticket!!! Even better Muse are headlining!!! After suffering severely from PMWS (Post-Muse Withdrawal Symptoms) for the past 6 months and having nothing tangible to concentrate my obsessive levels of fan-Dom (hahar!) on I can finally begin the countdown to what will hopefully be another out-of-this-world concert again! Plus, it's going to be an Origin of Symmetry special to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its release with a 3D representation of the album cover on the stage and the possibility of B-sides!!! I think I might just explode!!! 

Lyric of the Day: "This is the last time I'll abandon you" - Stockholm Syndrome, Muse

1 comment: